Thursday, October 16, 2008

Nostalgia

I was sitting out on the back patio this evening, it was quiet save for the distant dog barking, the air was cool and fresh. I could hear the crickets chirping and there was a faint smell of campfire. Not sure if that's what it actually was, but that's what I smelled. It immediately took me back to when my sister Tina and I used to spend the summer with our great-grandparents at Keystone Korner Kampground, back home in Pennsylvania. I have so many memories of those days. The evenings were often spent sitting around the campfire wearing our sweaters, the woods behind us dark and scary, the campers in front of us with strings of pretty lights. Somehow I was always the only one to end up with soot on her face. It seems like so long ago, but in an instant I was there. It was a moment of sadness and happiness at the same time. Sad for days gone by, happy that I have the memory. Both my sister and my great-grandparents are gone now, it's memories like this that keep them alive in my heart.

No comments: